PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing NORDO at KDCA
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2011, 14:49
sevenstrokeroll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IF you read the book, "The Republic" by Plato, you will find an interesting argument...something like...is it a chair if someone can't sit in it? is it an ear if it cannot hear?

Well, I say that a controlled airport, when there is not one single active controller becomes, by virtue of the platonic argument, UNCONTROLLED.

Therefore uncontrolled aiport operations come into play.

AS to the nutty argument about ''state of the runway"...truck on the runway etc...that problem could exist at a controlled aiport...a recent report shows pilots taking off on runways too short for their loads due to work on runways at...(wait for it) O'Hare airport (chicago). And the controllers were right there on duty...wide awake.

The decision to "open" or "close" an airport rests with airport managing authority (and any letters of agreement they generate). DCA was OPEN. Air Traffic Control was inop. Airport managing authority didn't close the airport...and that's that.

Its that simple.

AS far as the diversion concept. Why? It costs alot of money to divert. There might not be assistance to passengers at diversion fields. I have stated that I have been based at DCA...also , in combination, IAD and BWI. I would rather land at intended destination unless there was a great reason not to. There wasn't a great reason to divert.

IT is generally agreed that when tower is inop, you use CTAF procedures, announcing position and intention. There isn't anything on the approach plate or 10-9 page saying...THIS ISN"T THE CASE AT DCA.

The FAA got caught with their pants down and Randy and Company are trying to save their personal ASS.

Those who can are line pilots

Those who can't are chief pilots

those who can't be chief pilots become FAA administrators.