PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash-Cork Airport
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2011, 10:37
flyingguy1984

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't want to get into one of these typical pprune slanging matches. Lord Spandex - despite him being a friend - I am not shifting the blame. I have read the report and yes it was pilot error, but so are many accidents, yet what caused the pilot error is what we have to deal with. During training we practiced missed approaches, but we always did one, then a "diversion" which was always back to our base. No planning or consideration to do as such, it was the routine. We didn't consider alternate planning properly until MCC. The problem with the training is that they are training you to get through it, had a real life problem occurred we wouldn't have known what to do. All of the emergency scenarios are practiced but we know exactly what they are going to be and when, such is the nature of current IFR training. E.g. Route - approach - missed approach - diversion - hold - approach - G/A - land. Same every time. I am not saying that everyone who has done 200 hour training will bust minima - but in this case a lack of experience and training is the issue. As for being professional, do you think soldiers in the army who train constantly never go against what they have been taught and just panic in certain situations? We are human at the end of the day. To BALLSOUT, I wasn't comparing the two. You're right though, totally different outfits and I didn't mean to cause offence. However accidents and incidents have occurred when there has been vast difference of experience in the cockpit. If Airlines want to keep their costs down, there will ultimately be a price to pay if they take people with less experience.