PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fixed-wing or Rotary career? (incl Changing licence to Rotary)
Old 29th Mar 2011, 10:27
Whirlygig

Hovering AND talking

Location: Propping up bars in the Lands of D H Lawrence and Bishop Bonner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Mon Brave ...

Clintonb, I'll try again ....

but I've been told that to do your helicopter license it is cheaper to do your training in fixed wing and get the hours and then convert over to helicopter which will minimize your hours needed to do in helicopter and you leave with 2 types of license.
You keep telling us what you've been told but please listen to the responses here. It is NOT necessarily cheaper to do both, it will NOT necessairily make you more employable.

You are just as unlikely to get a job with 400 rotary hours as you would be with 250 rotary and 300 fixed wing hours for roughly the same cost.

just know doing your helicopter is a lot more cheaper in the states than in south africa try doing your helicopter license all the way up to CPL in south africa for no less than R750 000 = $109 000 and thats not even including housing or food or books.
I've flown in South Africa and compared with Europe, it is cheap. As I said, you have the right to live and work in SA and therefore a South African licence would be cheaper than a European (JAA/EASA) one as Europe is the only other area where you have the right to live and work.

You could try the Green Card lottery if you have another skill/qualification.

Cheers

Whirls