PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing NORDO at KDCA
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2011, 09:30
Lord Spandex Masher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stuckgear
Agreed, however perhaps pulling the comforter over the head and not getting out of bed would be the safest, least controversial action, but that doesnt get aircraft & crew, passengers & cargo from one place to the other.
Of course, it is always safer to stay in bed (probably). Flying is a compromise and there are risks involved but those risks are known. They are controlled and minimised by following procedures and safety limits. I am not ignoring the fact that occasionally a bit of lateral thinking is required but this instance doesn't really warrant it.

So, lets ignore safety for the sake of convenience and getting the job 'done'?

Press-on-itis, Get-home-itis; call it what you will but that attitude has been the cause of many accidents over the years. Suggest you visit the Crash at Cork Airport thread and you will be able to read what happens when you ignore safety procedures in an effort to 'get in'.

Did those passengers, crew and aircraft get from one place to the other. Well yes they did. They went through the pearly gates, upside down in a twisted pile of flaming metal. Job done?

The biggest threat to the safety, security and stability of this industry is those seeking political furtherment.
The biggest threat to the safety, security and stability of hundreds of passengers lives are the two people in the flight deck. You are the last line of safety for your passengers. As I've already stated and you already know there are risks to flying. Why you would want to take extra unnecessary risks is beyond me.

Bubbers, DCA is not an uncontrolled airport.