PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fixed-wing or Rotary career? (incl Changing licence to Rotary)
Old 29th Mar 2011, 07:21
Clintonb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Whirlygig

So found out that i do have the right to work in the US i called up the USCIS i have the right to work in the US giving that i have no drug convictions, been in any kind of terrorist acts or any other criminal convictions that might be on record even a DUI will set me back. Anyone in the world has the right to work anywhere in the world depending on what your citizenship is as to the procedures needed to get a visa and whether you have any criminal record.

Any America who doesn't have a criminal record can work say in Dubai for Emirates or in asia etc and same goes for Europeans, Australians etc unless you don't have any criminal record understand that FAA is American issued license but you don't need to be an American to hold that type of license understand if you want to work in the US then you need a work permit but there are other places in the world that take on FAA such as Asia so if an American or European holds a FAA license, the license doesn't determine whether they can fly and work in asia but of course whether you can get a work permit but if you can visit the country without a problem then i don't see why there would be a problem to get a work permit unless again i stipulate it will be hard to get a permit if you have a criminal record.

I know i have been doing research for the past year but I'm just trying to use all the resources i have and know myself that i have covered all areas so once i have made my choice in flight school etc i know that i haven't left any stone unturned.
yes i know helicopters are hell of a lot expensive than fixed wing i never said helicopters where cheap or cheaper than fixed wing so don't know where you read that i just know doing your helicopter is a lot more cheaper in the states than in south africa try doing your helicopter license all the way up to CPL in south africa for no less than R750 000 = $109 000 and thats not even including housing or food or books.

Im just going by what I've heard as there never seems to be a right answer but I'm sure there is no wrong answer either. but I've been told that to do your helicopter license it is cheaper to do your training in fixed wing and get the hours and then convert over to helicopter which will minimize your hours needed to do in helicopter and you leave with 2 types of license. yes i understand you will have minimal hours in both but i just wanted to find out how is it in the states with that, as i have researched in Europe, Australia,South Africa and Asia about it. plus there are schools in the states that do helicopter add ons so there is that option but yet again i know that you have to choose one or the other unless you win the lottery and can build your hours in both licenses to have enough to be hirable in fixed or helicopter.

But thanks again for your help you have given me some useful information and thanks to everyone else for giving their 2 cents really appreciate it.