PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piston propeller check dilemma - which way?
Old 29th Mar 2011, 07:07
Air Tourer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confusion?

Two blades for every cyl to do a compression stroke? But one blade gives at least a top dead centre with an exhause valve open?

Anyway, first up a chief pilot told me to wind a Jacobs backwards "because the exhause valve will open first". (IE. the excess oil won't run into the intake man.) That was all right until many pilots and engineers told me to always go forward. (Except on a tiger moth where we went both ways as I remember.) After many years of winding away an engineer told me never to hand wind "his" P&W 985 as it had a clutch and I had too much leverage. The aero club was usually "leave the damn thing alone".

The final amusement was my last engineer tells me that I could get a fuel hydro. lock on a horiz. opp. with my high tank and leaky injectors.
Along the way I was supposed to idle a 985 for a while before shut down so the scavanger pump would collect excess oil and dump it in the tank.

In the end I wound my prop from habit, forward, feeling for "something", and knowing it MAY kick. Kept me happy anyway.