PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question about entry into Reversal Procedure
Old 29th Mar 2011, 04:18
Escape Path

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zeffy

I had assumed that the requested clearance would be recognizable to pilots familiar with the accident.
I am familiar with the accident indeed, since I am Colombian and obviously I have flown lots of times into Cali. I'm just objecting your example given that it bears no relation with the topic of this thread nor with what you stated in your previous post:

ATC may inadvertently approve an illegal or unwise clearance.
"The investigation examined the performance of the Cali approach controller to determine what role, if any, he may have played in the cause of the accident. The evidence indicates that he provided clearances in accordance with applicable ICAO and Aeronautica Civil rules and requirements, maintained separation of the aircraft he was controlling, and sequenced flights expeditiously and efficiently. His offer to AA965 to land on runway 19 was consistent with standards of safety and airspace management."

"Consequently, Aeronautica Civil concludes that the Cali controller neither caused nor contributed to the cause of this accident."

"Aeronautica Civil determines that the probable causes of this accident were:

1. The flightcrew's failure to adequately plan and execute the approach to runway 19 at SKCL and their inadequate use of automation.
2. Failure of the flightcrew to discontinue the approach into Cali, despite numerous cues alerting them of the inadvisability of continuing the approach.
3. The lack of situational awareness of the flightcrew regarding vertical navigation, proximity to terrain, and the relative location of critical radio aids.
4. Failure of the flightcrew to revert to basic radio navigation at the time when the FMS-assisted navigation became confusing and demanded an excessive workload in a critieal phase of the flight."

Cali Accident Report

Best regards,

Escape Path