PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 5th C-17 for RAAF
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2011, 03:29
Old Fella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loss of the SeaKing

Lost Again. Very interesting to read your comments regarding the crewing of the J and also the reduction in areas of responsibility for the currfent F/E's. As one of the "Old Brigade" of C130 F/E's I am not surprised at the changes which have been made, although I must admit to being disappointed that it was necessary to do so.

Many things have changed I guess, such as the way in which candidates for F/E training are selected and the backgrounds of some chosen. Is the reason the "H" requires rescue as often as the "J" due to the limitations on the F/E or the reliability of the "H"? Short of having to have an engine change, prop change, a hydraulic system pump flush or some other major airframe component change "Rescues" were very uncommon in the days when only relatively long-term ground technicians were considered for training as F/E's and they were trained by the respective squadron using current F/E's as instructors for all ground subjects and in the simulator.

Having been gone from the RAAF for thirty years I know times have changed, not always for the best it seems. If you don't want to go public please PM me. I am interested to know how things works these days.