PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question. RAAF Hercules in six turn spin in 1968
Old 28th Mar 2011, 23:14
Wiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can confirm it was A97-207, and not 212.

A97-207 always flew a little crooked after that event, requiring a bit of creative trimming to get the desired cruise figures, which on a Darwin-Singapore leg, could really matter. (At the weights we usually carried on a Butterworth or Vietnam service, that sector was so fuel critical we frequently flight planned on a PNR.)

(The A model autopilot was pretty basic, so if I'm being honest, I'd have to say they all required a bit of creative trimming), and if you climbed up into 207's duck's bum area, you could see that some of the stringers weren't quite as pristine and aligned as they might have been. But when you consider the treatment all the A models got in some of the rough strips we went into in PNG, to say nothing of the succession of teenage and not much older than teenage trainee pilots all practising short field landings day after day after day, it's quite possible they all looked like that up in the duck's bum. I only ever looked at 207's duck's bum because I was told to take a look at it by whoever it was who told me about the spin.

Is Arch Streeter still about? Haven't heard a word of him in many years now.