PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - why my instructor made a big deal of taking a photo at the runway?
Old 28th Mar 2011, 22:57
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are you people taking?

There are a few issues here which need some illumination. Firstly, let's look at the most critical issue, the one of safety. I don't where su2114 was standing, but wherever he was standing he was noticed. But we don't even know if he was doing anything wrong because nobody spoke to him. What a safety system. Are we using telepathy as a form of instruction now? Yup, people standing in the "wrong place" can be a pain. But gliders have controls and if the hazard is stationary or at least moving in a predictable fashion, it should be avoidable. So seeing this, the job of the instructor is to educate, not throw their toys out of the cot. Which brings me onto the second point. In the civilian club world, club instructors should be stable, balanced people who are also of capable helping a person seeing the error of their ways. Their job is to lead by inspiration and example. But this guy is sadly lacking in these two departments (maybe amongst others). It makes you wonder what sort of instructor they are as well. And this sort of childish behaviour appears not to be limited just to this club, as another poster has wrote:
...the launch co-ordinator was alreay tearing strips of the chap
If they were allowed to use corporal punishment, would he have hit him with big stick as well? Just what gets into people at gliding/flying clubs?

Much better to let you both calm down and start fresh another day.
To a point I agree but what is there to get so wound up about? It's not the army or the airforce. This is flying, not fighting. This is done for fun and enjoyment. Don't lose focus. Yes, every now and again something abnormal occurs. So as an instructor, your job is to sort it out. As the meerkat says, "Simple Peeps!"

Next, this is a club. As a member you pay to use the club's facilities. Who is an instructor to deny a member the use of their own facilities?

You have to be kidding me...
...early solo pilot is on approach and sees another student taking picture while standing on the runway threshold.
So early solo pilot closes airbrakes and misses obstruction and lands further down the airfield. If this action/technique has not been taught, early solo pilot's instructor hasn't done their job. And if they can't manage that, early solo pilot shouldn't be solo. Such a manoeuvre is standard aviation practice, especially in a glider.

Regarding competition finishes:
they aren't allowed at my club anyway.
I hated going to competitions where those who flew from clubs who banned anything which could be considered fun (like formation flying, aeros, beat-ups, low level hill soaring/racing, cloud flying, mountain flying etc.) had their first taste of adventure. How they managed not to kill themselves I'll never know, but it was "interesting" to see how close they could get to stoofing in but not actually do so. Like all types of manoeuvre, this one should be taught and practiced at the appropriate time and in the appropriate place.

I fly for a living and we aren't that serious. If someone does something out of the ordinary or you have any sort of problem, you deal with it. You don't go around shouting at people. If it's a safety problem, you try and discuss it (and do the inevitable paperwork) to stop the problem from reoccurring immediately. But what we do is enjoy ourselves at work whilst getting the job done to the very best of our abilities. But if I went gliding on my days off I'd hope and fully expect to have even more fun and enjoyment. I'm sure I'd get things wrong and I'd hope that I was treated with respect and that my errors were explained. Not doing so would do neither of us any favours and would do nothing for safety, which is where we started isn't it?

PM

Who used to go gliding (1,200hrs or so and a few diamonds) at the LGC many years ago. Has one less landing than take off and who also used to instruct. Quite badly at times, but I learnt eventually. I just wish I had the time to do some now.