PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is the RAF buying the F-35?
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2011, 22:23
SSSETOWTF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, before you guys screw yourselves into the ceiling, go back and read what I wrote. I said you could 'have F-35s in RAF/RN markings flying in 2-3 years'. Based on the fact that we signed for our LRIP-3 aircraft mid-09 and they're coming off the line early next year, it's not a huge logical error to assume that if we signed up for LRIP-5 or -6 jets, they'd arrive 2-3 years after contract signing.

They wouldn't be full ORD-compliant Block 3 aircraft, but a Block 2B F-35 is no slouch which is why the USMC say they are content to declare IOC with them. I could write 'succeeded' in bold a few times but it wouldn't change your opinion and I'm afraid you won't change mine. I've flown the airplane a fair bit and I've flown a few others too over the years. I assume I'd know you if you had too. If I were off to war tomorrow I know what my preferred airplane to fly would be.

How can affordability be anything other than subjective? Some people choose to live in a council house and drive a Mercedes, others live in stately homes and drive a Fiat Punto. Some countries choose to spend 3-4% GDP on defence, others choose to spend 1% or less. If the UK envisages a need to operate in airspace defended by the latest Russian, Chinese or French SAM systems or A-A fighters, then it will need to cough up the cash - I don't think the F-35 unit cost is ever going to exceed the annual UK tax intake. If it chooses to spend all its money on the NHS and consequently not be able to afford hundreds of F-35s, that's an entirely subjective choice.

Regards,
Single Seat, Single Engine, The Only Way To Fly