PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alan Mann Helicopters (Nostalgia thread)
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2011, 18:36
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Penny Drops!

TRC: BEHG has appeared a couple of times on the Nostalgia thread (with pop-outs) and I didn't think much of it. Then, today, I was sent this image of her wearing shorts and, lo and behold, the penny drops and I recalled that this was the ship used by you and the welly-wearing John Ackroyd-Hunt in the rescue of the Dancer!

On checking the ownership details one discovers that 'HG' was in the 'Willowbrook' stable (a Mann company I think) at the time that the Dancer got into trouble.

I remember that when Col. Bob called up Mann's (probably the Savage) he specifically mentioned that you might be better off bringing a ship fitted with 'highs' because of the depth of the furrows in the field. Then JAH and co. turned up in BEHG wearing shorts and had to fuss around trying to find a firm enough portion of soil with the right amount of slope so as to avoid getting stuck in the mud!

That incident must now be 30 odd years ago!

AB206B JetRanger III G-BEHG at Cranfield on 4th September 1981. The craft used by TRC and John Ackroyd-Hunt to rescue Colin Chapman's 206 G-AYTF after it suffered an engine failure. (Photo: Alan Mosiezny).

Sav