PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: Operations
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2011, 13:18
maxwelg2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dan, appreciate your feedback and I completely understand where you're coming from, however IMHO the more information and clarity the better. It's not like flying in a plane where the general populace doesn't really know what the risks are. In that specific case it's all down to statistics and media to inform et al the percieved risk involved. How many ASBs and ADs are in effect on civilian a/c, a lot more than most people realise.

We have different rules when it comes to the workplace. Everybody likes to believe that when we go to work we'll come home safe and in one piece. People deserve to know what risk factors are involved, oil companies are legally responsible to do that and make their industry as safe as reasonably practicable, and that includes all the equipment that they use in order to operate.

Working in the oil industry has been my chosen career for nearly 20 years now, never had any real concerns about a/c type until the S92. As we advance technology you would think that we would make this industry safer, not the opposite. People make mistakes, it's learning from them that's key. As a minimum that should have occured after Broome.

I'll continue flying fully aware of the inherent risks with my chosen vocation, that's not the issue, it's the painfully slow response to addresss the S92's well-documented issues that's infuriating. If the MRGB feet cracks, run-dry time capability and inherent vibration/noise issues are resolved with this type we may actually have moved forward to a better a/c for offshore use. Until then I'm still not convinced that this is the most suitable a/c for our current working environment over here in the Grand Banks. As we further develop the oil industry into the Flemish Pass and further east in the Southern Grand Banks we're going to be asking even more from the bus. I just hope that we've moved on from the current situation before then...this could be a major limiting factor in how far we can grow this industry.

An old Texan once told me "it's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil" so I guess I'm just squeaking away here until I see progress.

Safe flying

Max