PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Good Situational Awareness
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2011, 09:25
Morrisman1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im a believer that the best VFR flying is the simple stuff, need nothing more than a compass and DI as navigation assistance, flying to a flight plan and using a map. Discipline to maintain a flight log is very important to S.A. as it forces us into it, without keeping the flight log it would be easy for many pilots to drift off into La-La land.

In my opinion the glass cockpit is fantastic for IFR but makes matters worse for VFR due to it being completely unnecessary and just a distraction.

Out of the fleet I've flown, my favourite is the pa28-181 which is just a basic VFR machine with no fancy gizmos or unnecessary technology. Its fantastic to fly but for IFR flight I love having a GNS530 at my disposal, it definitely increases S.A. and having it supplement radio navigation is most reassuring.

Of course what helps with S.A. will vary from pilot to pilot but the concept is simple - if you are meant to be looking out the window that will give you best S.A. but if you are meant to be looking at the dials, better dials will allow for better S.A.