PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bader
Thread: Bader
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2002, 12:59
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
I can't claim the privilege of ever having met Bader, but I have met one or two other people who might be regarded as household names through their own achievements.

The fact is, people with the attitude and drive that gets things done can often be difficult to get on with and most will pick up a few enemies en-route. This seems to be part and parcel of being a big-achiever, which his biggest critic (and lets face it, Bader doesn't have many) couldn't deny he was.

I've read the book and seen the film, there's no doubt that Brickhill (who himself made a few enemies I seem to recall from his obit. in the Telegraph) was somewhat sycophantic, and the rather bile-inducing last page should probably be buried at midnight in an unmarked grave. The film if anything portrayes him more as a slightly flawed human being than the book does.

But, notwithstanding that, his achievements and contribution to Britain's defence are undeniable and perhaps when somebody has made such a contribution to his country, it's not innapropriate to overlook a few upsets and crossed-wires. We know they were there, but are we really interested now?

I have heard it said that the Wright brothers upset quite a few people as well, the Americans at-least are better at not worrying about the fact and just looking at their achievement.

G