PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Temp's and QNH's in a TAF
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2011, 04:40
FGD135

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aerodromes and Categories for which a TAF will be Available is the actual name of the list, which is why I pasted a copy and put that section of the name in quotation marks.
But did you not give any thought to the fact that, for most of the aerodromes on the list, for half the day, the TAF will not be available?

Are you back to just reading words without thinking, or are you raising semantics in order to obfuscate?

Given your quibble over the 50 NM vs 51 NM, I think it is the latter.

Only if his cruise speed is less than 100kt.
Another attempt at obfuscation. What you are referring to is a rule about whether a forecast is required for a flight, which is a totally different thing to whether an alternate is required for a particular destination.

Please refer to the point I made in post 41 regarding ARFORs and meteorological alternate minima (specifically wind). How could you meet all of the requirements of ENR 57.2 without a TAF?
I addressed this question of yours in an earlier post. I said then:

The area forecast will also allow you to glean whether the wind at your destination is such that an alternate may be required, but again, this information will not be presented directly for individual aerodromes.
For an aircraft's crosswind or downwind limits to be exceeded - on a sustained basis - there has to be some suitable meteorological phenomena in the area (or nearby). Examples of such phenomena include cyclones, tropical lows and fronts.

If any of those are present, the ARFOR will mention it - along with enough specifics of associated wind direction and speed to make possible the assessment of alternate requirements.