PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 5th C-17 for RAAF
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2011, 02:25
Old Fella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saving 2 Salaries????

Frazzled. My comment regarding the C130J was not intended to be a "put-down" of that aircraft. I am aware that it is a fine aircraft but it has not yet, to my knowledge, been developed in RAAF service to be used in some of the roles in which the A, E & H all had demonstrated their abilities. Yes the "J" can carry more in payload and can fly faster. The cruise altitude is not normally a problem, unless things have changed where FL260 was the max with passengers (Due no supplementary oxygen for pax and the time to get down to a breathing altitude))

As for "saving 2 salaries", I would contest that assertion. In the C130 world, pre "H" model at least, the Flight Engineer carried out all the maintenance required away base on almost all operations. One or more of three different "Fly-away Spares" kits were carried and as well as performing the inflight duties of Flight Engineer the F/E was responsible for any rectifications required, It was only on longer duration exercises or trips such as Staff College tours that any technical ground crew were carried. So, who do you think might perform that role today? Not the pilots I'll wager. I do not know with any certaintity however I would believe that at least one, if not two, technicians would accompany the "J" model on most flights. Not much of a salary saving I think.

Far from hating the "J" model, I believe it is a fine aircraft following in the traditions of it's forebears. If you have not had the experience of operating the "H" or earlier models of the C130, don't underestimate their value or capability.

Last edited by Old Fella; 28th Mar 2011 at 03:09. Reason: correction