PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alan Mann Helicopters (Nostalgia thread)
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2011, 18:06
vfr440

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRC and elro

Of the very sad event, I recall only that the route normally followed to location was changed and the fatal wires were not marked on any map, neither did they have any polystyrene balls or similar strung on them.

As a closure, which I shall remember until it is my turn to go upstairs (or down), whilst TRC did an excellent job at the time he wasn't licensed on the AlII. Andy and I were. Both of us also held licences on the A109. We had this fabulous film job on one hand, and the Pope's visit on the other.(with both our operational A109s G-HWBK and G-OAMH flying aerial photos; one for BBC, the other for ITV - now THAT's a win-win situation, and I think it was Nigel who masterminded that deal ) In the event Andy and I tossed a coin for who was to go to Yug, and who would do the Pope's visit. I didn't win, despite extensive AlII experience gained in Canada previously. I've often wondered, if the coin had landed the other way up.............................

It was one of the saddest moments that I can recall; we have all lost good friends and colleagues over the years. This, for me, was about the most poignant. And only goes to show that the day may be called, but the number on the bullet wasn't yours. RIP fellas, I miss you still ~ VFR