PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing NORDO at KDCA
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2011, 17:31
con-pilot

Aviator Extraordinaire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
....perhaps Spandex and Shell figured that someone/something may have been cleared onto the runway, but never told to get off!
I was not going to post here again, but I just cannot let anything that silly go unanswered.

Sigh.

Right then, the sleeping controller clears an airport vehicle (and it would have to be an airport vehicle to be cleared on an active runway) onto the runway. So this airport vehicle, with its normal lights on, plus its hazard/caution lights, plus the flashing bright yellow light on the top of its cab, goes out on the runway and then turns all of its lights off. I mean the lights would have to be turned off, otherwise the pilots would see the airport vehicle on the runway.

Okay, let's get even sillier. Say it was an unauthorized, non-airport vehicle. It goes out on the runway, bypassing a myriad of security checkpoints and systems that exists at DCA. Then it stops in the middle of the runway. You really think that the tower controller, even a wide awake one, would see it, at night? Not that they look out the windows that much anyway. No, there would a 99% chance they would not see the unauthorized, non-airport vehicle either.

You might as well worry about someone going out on the runway and digging a 50 foot by 50 foot hole in the middle of it.

Oh, was incorrect about my flying time, I have 21,101 hours, all in the Space Shuttle.