PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apparent brake failure!! Do you take off??
Old 27th Mar 2011, 02:21
Ultra long hauler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Famous last words……...

Originally Posted by Ultra long hauler

Actually 2 days ago I flew with a brake that was "iffy"…..working, but not perfect.
I didn´t realize until after the landing………so I left the runway a bit faster than I normally would have!

All fixed again now!!
Famous last words!!
What do you Brits call this again; "Sod´s law"??

Today, on short final into the club; I felt something weird on my throttle…….I checked, and there it was--> the brake handle hanging loose off of my throttle.

Yes, mine is "hand braked"……..1 handle, for both sides.

Hmm, not a big tragedy I suppose, but as explained before, our runway doesn´t spring to mind when it comes to the longest / widest runway in the world, and I am very much a novice as a pilot.
I considered my options, with the sun setting rather fast; and in the end I felt confident that I´d be able to stop in time. (or otherwise do a go around).

I came in very short, probably touched the plants at the threshold of the runway with my main gear……..but landed horribly rough; yet it looked good distance wise, I aimed for the rough grass on the sides of the runway and switched off the engine.

I still had 150 meters to spare when we came to a halt!! No sweat!!

Question: why was my landing so bad today?
Concentrating on the wrong things?
My instructor / mechanic wasn´t there but he congratulated me over the phone for the experience as a pilot that I got today!

Time for a cold one now!

###Ultra Long Hauler###