PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Roll rate
Thread: Roll rate
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2011, 23:40
Jane-DoH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris Scott

"...as soon as the (control wheel) is (fully) displaced, the spoilers will rise on the downgoing wing (to 43deg)......and the spoilers on the upgoing wing will retract. In this config, maximum roll rate is about 400deg per second."
That's on par with some aerobatic aircraft...

Why would they have configured the control-system to produce such a heavy roll rate all the sudden at maximum control surface deflection? I thought the whole idea is so that it builds up in a predictable manner...

Loose Rivets

My reaction must have been adrenalin fueled. Certainly, the ailerons were way past the angle needed to lift a spoiler, and the aircraft virtually snap-rolled. In disbelief, I stopped it with wings past the vertical, and rolled it back the long way. I know, total wimp.

It had rolled faster than anything I'd flown for aerobatics. Period.
Impressive...

Machinbird

One of the fastest rolling aircraft around is the A-4 Skyhawk at up to 720 degrees/sec. Enough roll acceleration to bang your head off the canopy if you aren't the one flying (2 seat versions). Enough roll rate to over-pressurize the wing fuel tank from centrifugal force effects and damage the wing (I've investigated some of the resulting incidents).
I didn't know a plane could roll fast enough to damage itself...

Max roll rate only allowed for one 360 degree roll before stopping it due to roll-pitch coupling.
What's roll-pitch coupling?