PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing NORDO at KDCA
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2011, 19:18
sevenstrokeroll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Shell Management...thanks for the LAUGHS>

But, as a US Pilot, HOW DARE YOU!

Let us review...I personally have been cleared for takeoff, in beautiful weather, while there was a FUEL TRUCK stopped right in the middle of the runway. I asked ATC to verify that we were cleared for takeoff and they got angry with me..things like: clean the wax out of your ears, you are cleared for takeoff.

I then said: DO YOU SEE THE FUEL TRUCK ON THE RUNWAY? Takeoff clearance was then cancelled by tower.

I was better off that day without ATC. Perhaps that night, American and United were better off too.

There is risk in every operation. One of my brother pilots was killed while cleared to land at KLAX because ATC forgot they had cleared another plane into position and hold at an intersection of the runway.

Quite frankly, I would not have diverted to Dulles because of this. I would look at my copilot and say: I'll bet ATC fell asleep...they only have one guy on duty now. You see, I was based at DCA for 10 years plus.

Shell Management, you would have to understand that DCA has a noise curfew and there aer only a few exceptions and at that time at night...NOTHING IS HAPPENING. AND IF there was a vehicle on the runway, they should be monitoring ATC and have a clearance to operate on the runway.

Granted, I might do some extra clever things like switch to ground freq and give a shout out there too. I might even flash my landing lights. I would be extra watchful, but having been cleared for takeoff right into a fuel truck, I've learned that lesson years ago (by the way, the airport in question was usually a poster child for FOG)

By the way, wasn't it a euorpean pilot who tookoff at tenerife and hit a pan am????

I'm with you con-pilot.

Shell Management...the truth about flying is this...the captain, PIC whatever you like to call it is the final authority as to flying the aircraft. If he wanted to be totally fancy he could have declared an emergency and proceeded under the emergency authority of the pilot in command.

but they didn't need to.

AS to randy babbit (famous for being half of babbit and costello), for him not having heard of things like this happening, he is lying. I've heard about things like this since I started flying 35 years ago. He is trying to save his ASS because he could have ordered two guys on duty at all towers at all times along time ago.