PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which part of the cabin for the smoothest ride?
Old 26th Mar 2011, 17:58
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Last night I was on VS LHR~JNB on a 744 and the PE seat I was in was just at the leading edge of the wing. During the night I got up for my usual leg stretch and I always walk down to the back, across and back up the other aisle and then, depending on the disposition of pax and my seat, another circuit or return the same way.

When I got to the back, I was VERY surprised at how much the tail was wagging. Over the wings, we were experiencing a slight 'rumble' but the tail was really 'cobble stones'. I know the yaw damper can be very active but I was doubly surprised as this was one of the all time smoothest rides I have had on that sector. Even the equator was MUCH quieter than usual. So I'm rather glad that PE is where it is.

On another matter, to adapt the OP.
In which part of the sky do you get the smoothest ride? Over countries now in ferment?
The normal route is over Tunisia and Libya, for some reason, our track was much further west, over Algeria and then in a more or less straight line over Angola to Botswana and in to South Africa(various other countries along the way of course).