View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2011, 11:11
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
During training, we always had the mantra:

Plan accurately
Fly accurately
Think ahead

However, when I went through CFS 20 years later, I thought that the teaching of basic navigation was probably the worst taught of all topics - and it wasn't much better at the UAS. Pet theories, half-remembered previous methods and a dismal lack of standardisation. Worst of all was the concept of pre-flight planning based upon some fast-jet LL 420KIAS technique applied with little thought to a 120KIAS aeroplane at ML.

Since those days, I hear that the RAF doesn't even teach the use of a nav computer for pre-flight planning, but attempts to do so using MDR. Now, whilst MDR is an excellent technique for in-flight use, it is totally inadequate for accurate pre-flight planning; anyone producing a flight plan based on MDR would probably fail the navigation section of a simple civvy puddlejumper PPL Skill Test before ever getting airborne. A good grounding in accurate medium level navigation doesn't take many sorties (some of which MUST be flown solo), but my suspicion is that the F-J mafia has decided that ML nav is for girls and that LL techniques are the only way. I hope I'm wrong, because that really would be utter bolleaux!

Not that long ago, we had a pilot from Valley who'd decided to leave the RAF so was doing some pre-PPL Skill Test training. He said that he'd never used a nav computer and his pre-flight planning was all still-air! He needed to be completely re-taught the basics of navigation; however, at least he was fully conversant with the SCA technique - which certainly does work well even at 90 knots.

That said, always remember that navigation cannot be that hard - even navigators can manage it....!!

Good luck!!