PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Decision to axe Harrier is "bonkers".
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2011, 08:27
FB11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finningley Boy,

Nothing really that subtle between WW2 and a NFZ over Libya but it did give you an opportunity to mention Spitfires (doing main operating base Homeland Defence.)

Would Ark or Illustrious have been sailed back to the Med? Who knows but those who have carriers have decided to do exactly that because their politicians and operational commanders had the choice that enabled them to be flexible.

I understand Air Marshal Loder had something to say about this recently on a late evening panel show? But of course, his views are clearly tainted by him being a Harrier man and not a respected airman and experienced commander.

(Thank goodness AM Loder had the cajones to expose the fragility and risk in the initial push to railroad Tornado into HERRICK by 1 April 2009.)

Politicians and operational commanders have the choice to bring their carriers into a fight whilst negotiating the Access Basing and Overflight issues associated with so-called NATO and/or proven coalition nations who had cold feet because they are on the doorstep of the country being attacked.

But the cost of running a carrier around when it would have already been running around? The fuel cost for 5-10 days steaming a little quicker?

And of course, no hotel bills. Or car hire. Or LOA/actuals or whatever we call it nowadays.

And I bet the Jack Daniels* and Coke would have been cheaper in the Wardroom.

*Insert imbibement of choice (IV squadron purists will never catch me using the 'd' word.)