PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Policy is not law – AAT buckets CASA decision
Old 26th Mar 2011, 02:57
swh

Eidolon

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by aroa
So as the bum stated it was a commercial action that I did .. selling photos.. from a "safety" point of view, WTF has that got to do with CASA.
I think CASAs actions were justified in your case. CAR 1988 5.78 "What does a private pilot (aeroplane) licence authorise a person to do?", permits a PP(A)L holder to conduct private operations.

One can take photographs from an aircraft as a private operation, the conditions for that is set out in CAR 1988 2 (7)(d)(iv) "aerial photography where no remuneration is received by the pilot or the owner of the aircraft or by any person or organisation on whose behalf the photography is conducted".

By your own admission you were the “pilot”, and “any person or organisation on whose behalf the photography is conducted” receiving remuneration for what you were doing. Therefore it was not a private operation.

This would be no different to you taking some of your photographer friends up flying and getting them to pay for all the costs of the aircraft even if you did the flying for free. It is no longer a private operation.

The other cases you mention can be private operations see CAR 1988 2 (7) and (7A).

Originally Posted by Advance
And YES their staff conduct Aerial Work on a regular basis.
Care to provide examples where you think they conduct "Aerial Work on a regular basis" ?

Originally Posted by Sunfish
I say again, this is lunacy. In a Two or Three pilot organisation, I can replicate the outcome of a safety system over the bar in the pub. To say, let alone believe, otherwise is BS, and you know it.
No one is suggesting that one needs the same organisational structure and manuals for a 2-3 pilot organisation than what one does for a large capacity RPT organisation. The systems and manuals in place should just reflect the way you do things. That is why just buying an operations manual off the shelf does not work in a lot of cases.

It is impossible to have "systems" in place just by discussing things in the bar at the pub."Systems" need to be documented, they may not be right, however what should done is that when the system breaks down, they should be reviewed, and fixed so that it does not happen again.

Nothing wrong with discussing organisations procedures down at the pub or any other venue, and even to come up with better ways of doings things. However whenever an operator changes their procedures, it should be documented, and that process should also be in the manuals.