PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Newlywed jailed for using mobile on flight'
Old 14th Sep 2002, 21:04
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Hi, Vortex thanks for clearing up this point for us all.

Wrong. Cell phones do NOT always TX. There is an idle mode, which is when you are not making a call and this does not require the phone to TX. It searches for base stations by listening and measuring the received signal.
I am glad to learn this. In my work in Telecomms, I rely upon the companies supplying the equipment and service to give me most of the information. In this case, that has been erroneous.

Wrong again. Increasing numbers of phones and wireless PDAs have aircraft modes, which disable the transmission side of the phone, but still leaves you able to use its other facilities. I own a Siemens S45 with just such an option. Nokia 9000 series communicators have the same option.
Well, I'm sorry that you have to denounce me in such tones. I am glad (again) to learn that devices already have this feature. My phone does not and, besides, I don't play games with it. So - even it had it, I would not use it!

I am not trying to knock you here but GSM and mobile radio is as different as chalk and cheese.
Very true but I was considering the audience that reads this forum and making a differentiation betwen System 4; Portable Mobile Radio; TACS; ETACS; GSM; Radio-Paging (onsite and area wide) etcetera, I thought that 'Mobile Radio' was a little easier?
I’m not questioning your ability but in this case you prove the point of a little knowledge is a dangerous thing
Well, in this case, I am wrong and you have been able to state the correct information. This is a good case for the internet and discussion groups. It is great that a GSM Optimisation and Planning Engineer is on hand. All I ask is that you try and point out errors in ... <trying to find the right word> gentler? tones.