PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I don't study trigonometry!
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2011, 23:33
Pugilistic Animus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
for actual flying, no you really don't need trig...just remember to turn left for the shortest distance around to lesser heading and right for a greater heading...there's no math in aviation...just figuring...but your employer may see things differently...

for those interested though...here's some math

http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/4174...d-formula.html

Green's theorem...curl, flux, divergence the Laplacian, the Legendrian...dot product,.. cross product...will be of little help at altitude though...
quote]but nobody ever told me what calculus, sorry the calculus was for.
well since I got myself into this fine mess

well in short 1. differential calculus...when you have a linear function f(x) in the form y=mx+B, where m =the slope, y2-y1/x2 -x1 ...at any point on the line the slope 'm' remains constant...but as many items in nature are not linear but vary in a non-linear fashion such as Sinx or a logarithmic function, non linear acceleration...etc...

in that case on has to use the derivative which is a slope to a Tangent at any point on the curve that value is the instantaneous value that you would obtain and the slope 'm' becomes dy/dx in stead of delta as the change in 'x' becomes very very small

I think it might be too much to get into concavity, second derivatives, min and max points...etc.. as I don't have a blackboard and it will be mumbo jumbo

the process: certain key derivatives must be memorized [or derived]

remembering that y=the function f(x)

they are:

d/dx (a )===a constant = 0 m = constant the slope value must be zero

d/dx X^n = (nx^n-1) i.e d/dx ( X^3 ) =3X^2 ='m'

d/dx (e^x) = e^x [itself]

d/dx lnx =1/x ...........[lnx]= natural log

d/dx 1/x =lnx

d/dx sinx =cosx

d/dx cosx =-sinx another way to symbolize derivative 'm' is f(x) with a prime = d (f(x)/dx or now that's ALL that should be memorized ---if interest continues I'll do the 'chain rule' the product rule, and the quotient rule and explain 'u'

questions?
and I hate math...