PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US to stop work on GE F-35 engines
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2011, 18:38
SSSETOWTF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LO,

Generators - are you deliberately telling a half-truth, or are you uninformed? The aircraft would all have had their flight clearance pulled if you were correct. Not all of them have, which is why they're still flying.

The helmet has been used on every single flight for a couple of years now. It needs improving but it works.

No idea about your other points - I'm just a simple pilot. But if the first 2 are all you have to complain about on an aircraft that represents a quantum leap forward in every respect - dynamic inversion flight controls, the clutch & propulsion system to do STOVL, in a very LO airframe that is relatively easy to maintain, and a mission systems suite that is all working ridiculously well for a program at this stage of its development cycle - then I think most people would say the program is doing rather well. Of course, all the cool kids bad mouth the JSF though.

F3..banana,

Boeing will tell you that an F-18E is available for some laughingly low price like $50m, but by the time you've added in the engines and all the bolt-ons that you really need to be able to operate it, + the 15% tax for an FMS, all of a sudden I believe the price balloons to something around 3/4 the cost of an F-35. But personally I treat any and all figures associated with procurement with sack loads of salt. It's really all about the industrial offsets and the sustainment costs in my opinion - the sticker price is the least of your worries.

Regards,
Single Seat, Single Engine, The Only Way To Fly!