PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - This happened yesterday in Guatemala
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2002, 19:15
TwinHueyMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the other hand imagine a Formula 1 car race, and some idiot makes it onto the track gets hit and the car spinns of, maybe hits a track guard and/or the driver gets hurt in the process.
Who is to blame?
No one complains about these guys driving in relative close proximity to people at insane speeds and definitly not able to always stop in sight distance - as required in most traffic codes!
But remember - what they are doing is normal, legal, and well known as an established practice by spectators. The only way I can liken an F1 race to what *** did was if Johnny F1 driver got 9 passengers on his car and went speeding through the race track parking lot during a swap meet. Someone happens to step out, gets hit... sorry, the driver was doing somthing illigal when he had no reason and no right to do so.

I was trying to think up a logical metaphor last night to try and liken what *** did to somthing that everyone can relate to, but guess what... I couldn't think of one! There is not a single other circumstance out there that I know of which entails putting passngers at risk while doing somthing completley illigal and reckless, where a bystander can recieve fatal injuries by trying to take a photograph. I challenge everyone else to try and think of one.

Innocent until proven guilty only stands in my mind until there is a reasonable amount of incriminating evidence to prove otherwise. I don't wait for a judge and jury to make my mind up for me.

On a side note, I saw a movie last night called "Fandango", with Kevin Costner and Judd Nelson (1985), which had a part where the group of guys went skydiving. The pilot (a marajuana smoking "hippie") used his plane (Cessna 182 with an outrageous paint scheme) to ferry Judd to altitude. After he dropped his passenger, the pilot did an emmelman, 90 deg vertical dive, and low (<2 feet clearance) pass during and after Judd's decent. Afterwards, the group tasked the pilot to pick up a girl in the city, which had even more amazing flying - the pilot did rolls and loops, and even flew under overpasses (mere inches in clearance top and bottom), even while being chased by police in a FH1100, culminating with him landing and taxing on a congested freeway, off an offramp, down the street, and finally to the persons house.

When I saw that, I immidiatley thought "*** ******".

Mike