PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - This happened yesterday in Guatemala
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2002, 19:06
Flare Dammit!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blender pilot keeps coming up with these weird accidents!

About 10 to 15 yrs. ago I remember an incident that was mentioned a lot on TV during which a helicopter decapitaded 2 or 3 people (I think they were kids) during the filming of "the twilight zone" I remember the helicopter was flying down the river and hit the people during a turn as they were standing on the river bank, I don't know much else but I remember it was on TV for a while.
...Almost twenty years ago. 1983 to be exact. The infamous case with "Twilight Zone - The Movie." During filming, actor Vic Morrow and two child actors were killed when a UH-1 that was hoving above fell on them in a simulated battle scene. The helicopter was brought down when a special-effects technician set off an explosion which took out the tail rotor.

Read about it at: http://www.safe-skies.com/legal_aspects.htm

The article brings up some very good points about pilots and criminal charges following accidents involving fatalities. Actually, these points are rather relevant to this thread.

Please take notice of the term "reckless, willful or wanton" with respect to misconduct. Proving a pilot's actions are such (and thereore criminal) is difficult, which is why a certain Bell 412 pilot has not yet been charged in connection with the death of a person on the ground. However, that may change next month when the Illinois version of a grand jury convenes and reviews all cases of "unnatural death."