PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAA Cessna 180's in PNG
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2011, 15:08
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I think I might have a couple of buttons off that seat - and no, I don't know where they are now

In all seriousness by the time I actually flew MFU I had been flying C185s in PNG a long time and my really attention getting frights were behind me - now if you had the front left seat outa P2-BAF THAT would be an entirely different story - that aircraft taught me a LOT

I do remember flying MFU to Bensbach with a load of freezer, bread and sundry essentials for the hunting lodge on a really nasty wet season sunday, on my only day off that week from Talair, where I flew for hundreds of miles at <500' with vis ranging between a couple of miles and several hundred feet (straight down) - in fact from about half way between Kerema and Kikori it was like that.

I saw a small section of the Fly River that I recognised pass under and figured I best try a little deliberate error nav between there and Bensbach. An hour or so later I turned 90 left and flew for about 5 or 6 minutes and the strip appeared EXACTLY under me...never saw anything meaningful out the front that entire time.

I remember very distinctly being enormously impressed with myself - I think I muttered "Whaleoilbeefhooked, it works" as I wheeled around in a tight spiral hauling on the flap lever and splashed down