PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - iv made my decision. where to now?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2001, 07:27
Dupre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Come on people - liquidhockey did say the decision has been made! We don't even know if the decision is in his/her control!

Liquidhockey - Assuming you don't have £55k stashed away just yet... the way I'm doing it in NZ is in 3 phases (though I'm doing it slowly, as I'm studying as well).

Phase 1: Work and get your PPL at the same time. This will quench your immediate thirst for flying, while not costing the earth.

Phase 2 (where I am now): Work and save for a big stint of training to get a plain CPL (in NZ no-one will employ a 250hr pilot on twins - in the UK you might want a MEIR and frozen ATPL?)
Keep current with as much cost-sharing flying as you can get. Take your friends, your friend's friends and your friend's friend's friends, though don't piss anyone off by twisting their arm! Cost sharing is great as you get to go wherever you want for 1/4 of the price - a great way to build hours (and it is possible - I've got 35 cost sharing hours, with another 15 or so in the pipeline).

Phase 3: Train for CPL with cash saved, and either find a job or do an instructor rating and find a job.

From there it's just a matter of getting hours, an MEIR, a twin job, and climbing the ladder as high as you want to go

Hope that helps - make yourself a timeline of what you're doing and when. Work as much as you can, live frugally, and above all STICK TO IT and you'll make it eventually!!

Dupre.