PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Policy is not law – AAT buckets CASA decision
Old 25th Mar 2011, 10:27
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
Creampuff:

You are implying that they operate to lower safety standards that RPT operators.

It's not an implication. It's a fact. That's one of the consequences of the distinction between RPT and Charter.
With respect, you are implying that what is required by way of procedures to produce safe outcomes in an organisation of of some 35,000 staff (ie qantas) is the same as what is required to produce safe outcomes in an organisation with perhaps Thirty Five members.

I say again, this is lunacy. In a Two or Three pilot organisation, I can replicate the outcome of a safety system over the bar in the pub. To say, let alone believe, otherwise is BS, and you know it.

What we have here is a fork between what is required by way of regulation to keep aviation safe, and what is actually required by way of action to keep aviation safe.

I have no doubt that there are evil operators that CASA should shut down. However I think CASA should adopt the precautionary principle.

To put it another way, I have to spend a few hours of my valuable time tomorrow getting "accredited" on a crane I have been using for Twenty something years.

I am fast running out of enthusiasm for continuing to pursue recreational aviation activities. There are too many wankers, it appears, in this occupation and that includes the professionals at Qantas and perhaps elsewhere.

I'm beginning to think there are better places to spend my money, not that would or should influence CASA.