PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2011, 00:08
okey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An unfortunate evolution in todays industry. Experience requirements were there for a reason. But this is being replaced by attitudes such as one of our posters here. If you don't have the answers you ask those with experience for them. They kindly volunteer them.When you don't agree with them or don't like the answers or are embarrassed that you had to ask them in the first place then your replies become more aggressive and personal.

You are going to be operating in a high stress, demanding environment with no experience to fall back on. You will be tired and fatigued, one of you probably has domestic issues in the back of your mind and the other probably has the company on him/her about something. If your in the LHS it's probably both.Whether you are 22 or 62 there's no room for those who want to prove they are different by arguing or constantly questioning routine decisions. Thats not CRM. Remember the "C" . Courtesy. If at the end of the day you feel the captain (or senior crew member) has gone out of his way to accomodate your lack of experience. Say "thanks". That doesn't mean carry his bag or shine his shoes but it shows an evolution toward a mature operator who is aware of his limitations. If you think you have nothing to learn perhaps this isn't quite the industry for you. Use lots of 'C" and you'll usually get it back.

Everyones got an opinion in this industry. Take or leave it at your peril. Here's one. Take a humble pill. Close your mouth occasionally and listen, watch and learn. Take onboard the good bits and discard the other. The ability to do this is the first in a long road of decision making skills that will be expected of you. This industry is small and takes no prisoners. It can't afford to. Don't be the guy who thinks they know it all. It's a small but vocal and annoying club. Think those shiny new bars make you an expert. Think again. Think the faded old four bars mean you'll know everything when you wear them one day? I'd bet all the guys who wear them on this forum would agree they don't.

The difference between okey 20 years ago and now. 20 years ago I didn't know enough to be embarrassed by how little I knew and the extra workload that put on my colleagues. Now I am.

Comparing a globally respected military arm's selection process to that of a pay for training cadet scheme? Ex GA many moons ago and I'll be the first to admit thats just plain wrong. I wouldn't have insulted my ex mil colleagues by suggesting it 20 years ago and I won't now. Very best of luck to those entering elevated positions in our industry now. Work hard at it and the old salts will be buying you drinks dowroute. Make that look silly through lack of preparation and not taking your responsibilities seriously and.....