PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New military aviation 'body' to set up.
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2011, 22:18
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
tmi:
It is my experience that the US Military self-regulate as do nearly all European ones.......
Good point mighty imp, and I could have expanded on why we are so much worse at it than others but I would merely say that the proof is in the pudding. By the same token you might point out that nearly all European countries operate state run railways that are reasonably priced, punctual, fast, and not particularly overcrowded. We don't and privatisation seems to have brought with it all the "not my job mate" attitudes of BR. These are all broad generalisations of course, and anyway incidental to the main issue.
Self Regulation has failed UK Military Airworthiness Provision because it kills, never mind the cost financially and militarily of the scrapping of whole fleets because they lack airworthiness. If other countries believe it works for them, that is for them to decide. If we have any sense we will man up to this now and admit that it certainly doesn't work for us, and has not done so since at least 1988. If we do not there will be more airworthiness related fatal military air accidents that should have been avoided but were not, even under the auspices of a so called "Military Aviation Authority" department of the MOD.