PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots may fly solo over safety checks
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2002, 13:21
BIK_116.80
on your FM dial

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FlexibleResponse,

In the ICAO jurisdictions I am familiar with, pre-departure inspection training must be carried out in accordance with an approved syllabus, as authorised by the national regulatory authority, and must be conducted by an “approved person”.

In the organisations I am familiar with the training is conducted by a licensed aircraft maintenance engineer, who must be licensed on type. If the trainees are pilots then they must be rated on type and must have flown the aircraft. The LAME who conducts the training certifies each trainee’s successful completion of the course. The trainee is then authorised to conduct and certify pre-departure inspections for that aircraft type.

airsupport,

I am interested in your statement that “Australia has always LED the World in Aviation Safety…”. Upon what do you base that assertion?

It seems to me that Australia has enjoyed a relatively low number of airline jet accidents, which is in line with the relatively small number of flights (when viewed in the context of the global industry). The generally very benign Australian weather conditions and topography are also a major factor.

I would be interested if you would refer to accident rates in your response.

When you say “…why do WE have to be dragged down to the lowest level now.” I start to get a bit worried. To me, that seems to sound a bit like the kind of “could never happen to us” superiority attitude that prevailed at a well-known Australian airline just before they had to take a drop ball and incur a two-shot penalty.