PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash-Cork Airport
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2011, 10:32
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOAC, Re your post #840, I think your haze is getting thicker in the memory.

It was Girona (if you are Catalan) Gerona (if you are Spanish)

Having been based there, and indeed still living here, I read the report very well, and know too the local stories, from those who were also here at that time.

I don't remember in the accident report, or indeed ever heard a rumour of, the Capt taking over and landing after a g/around was called, indeed if my memory serves me well, having not re-read the report for a couple of years, he was in fact the handling pilot.
Having made an approach on the reciprocal runway previously, there is a strong suspicion, denied by the controller, that the PAPI's/ Appr Lights may have been OFF (something I have seen myself a few times in GRO if we switched ends, so entirely plausible)
What appears to have happened (& strangely enough the electrical company could not provide details of power outages for the time period concerned ) is that a lightning strike to the airport that occurred just as they were about to land, put all the lights out momentarily.
In the shock/disorentation of losing sight of the runway ("possibly" just basic R/W lights too) immediately before the planned flare/touchdown in torrential rain to a near flooded poorly lit runway, the PF appears to have been disorientated into thinking that the loss of visual cues were due to the aircraft pitching up, and therefore applied a large forward application on the control column which resulted in a landing/crash , nose-gear first, resulting in damage which applied full power to 1 engine resulting in a psuedo g/around high powered bounce/hop into a field alongside the runway breaking the aircraft into 3 bits.Having taken a fairly substantial knock/injury to the head, during the "landing"he could not recall afterwards his actions, not surprisingly.
The only real blame one could attach, is taking wholly inadequate fuel reserves in the 1st place, bearing in mind the area forecast, but there is no official , or even unofficial ,claim around that I have heard , that the Capt tried to land off a go-around.
Another accident report with MANY lessons to be learned.

Last edited by captplaystation; 24th Mar 2011 at 10:44.