PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiger Moth joy flights - chocks for starting?
Old 24th Mar 2011, 05:37
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The lead Meteor pilot on the Auster shoot down attempt was, then Sqd Ldr, later Wing Commander, Max Holdsworth.

In the early 80s he was a silver haired old Examiner Of Airmen with DCA/CAA - his nickname amongst us student pilots and instructors was 'Mad Max'. He could be a bit of an old cnt in fact. A friend of the family who served with him flying P40s in Milne Bay during the Pacific War reckons he was a 'grumpy old cnt' even when he was in his 20s.

He gave me (and MANY others) more than my fair share of grief on my way through CPL and Instructor Ratings...finally after almost literally destroying me on my Instructors Rating test he passed me with the words "I think you have a natural talent for this young man, congratulations"

Some little time later he sidled up bedside me in the Bankstown Briefing Office and I couldn't restrain myself "Hi Max.....I heard your weapon jammed?" We ALL knew the story.

He scowled at me - then a half smile - "Get fcked" picked up what he came for a shuffled off.