PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - some navigation questions
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2011, 22:27
stiknruda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IO540

The OP is a student pilot - he doesn't know everything - hence his quest for further knowledge, I was just trying to balance the postings!

He has an FI in the US - who should be able to teach him how not to need to buy a new whizz wheel and a new chart for every trip! Your post explained how to use a GPS and a slaved auto-pilot. I can get from home to the south of France and back with a chart, compass and watch w/out hacking anyone off by bursting airspace - it just takes planning and a little SA - in a Pitts.

I used to laminate my own paper charts when I was a nav-stude if they'd be used frequently!

DR nav really isn't onerous or a pain in the ar$e - I'll admit that generally I only worry about course or brg and do all the drift and g/s corrections in my bonce. I'll fly at a power setting that should block me approx 120 or 150 or 180 knots that is close enoug to be good enough for the leg lengths that I generally fly.

Let's not lose the basics or dumb this thing down too much! Alex Henshaw did a great job in '39. We've come along way since - but let's understand how he did it, show that we can replicate that art and then adopt new tools.

Most PPL studes gain a licence then the novelty fades and they let it lapse.... KISS! I'm not disagreeing with you and am too old to get into a pointless pissing match.

Stik