PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Silhouette challenge
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2011, 21:55
RegDep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Graeme, Monaco was still there when I visited it a few years back. Has a superb Maritime museum but no airport, so no place for you, me pal.

France, no. Let me put it this way: There was a guy, called Pete. Tall guy, so some called him great. He went to Holland to learn manual work as ship builder (a good trade for an emperor, who otherwise had just been drinking champagne and been a no-good).

He then built his town based on Dutch ideas, and kept building ships. Some underlings got the idea to propose Peter, for Pete's sake, to call the town St. Pete'sburg, but they, poor bastards, lacked the apostrophe. So, they transcribed the town's name to Sankt Petersburg.

A funny guy, who, after living in Switzerland, took a nick-name according to a river where some insurgents had been beaten down, and stormed for half a decade or so around as Lenin (meaning: the chap from Lena river), died, and some underlings of this new emperor gave the same town the name of Leningrad. And there was this little aircraft built and named according to it's native town.