PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiger Moth joy flights - chocks for starting?
Old 23rd Mar 2011, 21:33
rocket66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Morning all

I have a reasonable amount of experience in flying tigers but probably more in starting them. I was taught by experienced hands and they both have said the same thing. When a tiger is started the throttle should be on the idle stop. As chimbu says if it needs anymore throttle than that the aircraft has been set up wrong and should be adjusted. Secondly if a tiger is started with a fistful of throttle and chocks are in front, on many occasions it may nose over. I have seen this occurr before and the fella involved was lucky not to lose his legs from flying pieces of timber from the prop hitting the earth.

As was mentioned earlier sucking and blowing should only be performed after ensuring the switches are off and then always still treat the prop with caution. Then when starting the right hand should be on the strut for balance and the othe hand on the prop. From my experience most will fire when the prop is slightly above the 9 o'clock position so make sure your paws are ou of the way by then. Then walk back to the wing and run your hand along the leading edge walking away.

Rocket