PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash-Cork Airport
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2011, 21:12
SloppyJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
would not need to go to court if you were in BALPA for example. YOU WILL NOT BE FIRED for sticking to the regulations as long as you fly in a descent country. You think the CAA would have an issue with someone saying they were fired as they went to the alternate when it was foggy? No operator in the UK would dare to fire anyone, even an FO with 250 hours if they made a decision based on regulations. It is not worth it, what are you trying to prove by pushing the limits? That you may end up killing people is all I can think of.

The FO in this case had only just started working there so it is understandable that he did not speak up as he is a product of the 200 hour airline pilot now course and had absolutely no real world experience, he just trusted his instructor and that is probably what killed him and 5 others as he saw the captain, even an inexperienced one as the instructor. I expect the captain was also a 200 hour airline pilot wonder when he joined but he should have known better as had at least been around a bit longer. Yes maybe it is a bit bad taste to speak about a dead pilot like this but his actions caused the deaths of passengers, his cowboy attitude killed peoples sons, daughters, fathers, mothers. Don't say "okay" say what the are you thinking we need to go to XXXX even if you have only been with the company for one day. In this case I am sure the captain was thinking the same but didn't want to admit it, if he had the FO saying we need to divert I am sure he would have. The actions of the crew killed these people. If they had diverted maybe they would have had a chat with the chief pilot, this guy would be an experienced pilot I hope, if it was foggy there would have been no questions it would have probably been a pat on the back for doing their job. They would both still be flying and the people they killed would be with their families.

Yeah don't talk about it yourself let other people who have operated in the UK talk about how they were fired for not landing in fog!!!!! I bet it has never happened.

Last edited by SloppyJoe; 23rd Mar 2011 at 21:30.