PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiger Moth joy flights - chocks for starting?
Old 23rd Mar 2011, 20:15
baron_beeza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep the Tiger is docile and easy to swing compared to some. I was once the hangar boy for one of the premiere flying club's in the UK. We operated a large fleet of wood and canvas aircraft, all without starters fitted.
I got to swing all manners of machines but primarily the Moth, Stampes and Turbulents. About the same time I was glider towing in a Super Cub which we solo started as part of the routine.

Over the years I probably got a feel for the various ways of starting the machines, certainly enough to know when someone has got it completely wrong.
I should add that I have held professional Pilot and Engineer licences for almost 30 years and the job in the UK was gaining experience for my wood and fabric ratings. (A long time ago).

I think we all have heard about various runaway aircraft, the two in Oz that spring to mind would be the one charging through the GA compound in Darwin and the well publicised chainsaw attack down south somewhere.

Basically from my experiences in the past couple of decades is that guys generally get the procedure all wrong. Obviously it has become something of a lost art and I am not aware of it included in any CPL training syllabus.

By far the most dangerous guys about are the young instructors, completely clueless and out to impress....

I guess sooner or later we will be writing our versions of the full procedure here soon, it starts with positioning of the aircraft, briefing, brakes, throttle footwear etc and just goes on..

The younger guys here really need to be aware of mag switch operation , including the need to start on the impulse mag only.
Likewise an understanding of starter Bendix operation... it is difficult swinging an engine if the Bendix is still engaged.

If you have never swung your type, and have not been taught by a competent instructor (preferably a LAME), then you really are taking a massive risk.
As an aircraft owner I would be mightily upset if some novice, (hick, jerk, upstart, boofhead), or his mates (read even less idea) subjected my machines to such a risky exercise.

Please, it is far safer to make a phone call... get the owner and engineers involved.
I am talking more about instances of flat batteries and the likes..... a replacement battery can be fitted quickly, your battery could be recharged, - whatever....... bent and broken aircraft are not so easily fixed.

Broken or missing arms don't fix themselves so quickly either