PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - some navigation questions
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2011, 20:01
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get yourself a GPS. It's the best navigation tool there is by a huge vast margin.

Re wind corrections, this is a non-event. With a decent GPS (by that I mean one with a moving map; anything else is virtually useless) you get a line displayed which is the projection of your current track over the ground.

So if you want to go to point X you just adjust your heading so that line lines up with X.

You are still flying a heading, as in practically all phases of flight. You adjust this heading according to the track displayed on the GPS.

It's really simple. There is almost nothing to do, apart from zooming the map to suit.

Autopilots are a different topic. Yes, an autopilot linked to a GPS in the NAV mode will fly a heading which is initially equivalent to the setting of the HSI course pointer, and then it will use the deviation bar to adjust the heading so the actual track lines up with the programmed GPS track. The course pointer can be adjusted manually (on a mechanical HSI like a KI-525) or it can automatically slew to the next programmed track (on an electronic HSI like a SN-3500, which I have). All the time, the autopilot is doing the wind correction. This is also straightforward but you need to understand these more complex avionics well.

I noticed the OP is in the USA and I am suprised he is "into" dead reckoning nav.