PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kingston uni - Foundation degree and job prospects to be "B" licensed
Old 23rd Mar 2011, 19:36
ironchefflay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could be earning 50K Euros with this lot, especially as the UK is going joint defence with France..
The engineers on the A330 MRTT have to be sponsored reservists with the RAF, andif you check out the Airtanker website and look at what one of those is, you may as well be in the RAF. and the money is rubbish.

i really dont get why a college or university runs a course like this. its one thing doing the academics, by all means run a course that is geared towards aviation maintenance, but dont run it with the modules included. There is little point running a course to get the modules for Ab-initio students, if you cannot provide the experience requirement to go with it. since the educational establishments cannot control who gets hired, its pointless.

its all very well for ICAO to talk about the future shortages of engineers and for the CAA and universities to get together to run these courses but unless there is work out there at the time, or the few lucky students are willing/able to relocate where there are jobs, then they wont get very far. i think this is an instance where apprenticeships would be more appropriate, even mature apprentices.