PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guns in Cockpit (Various)
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2002, 03:22
MasterGreen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent video. It shows the speed at which a situation can develop without any detectable weapons being used.

I personally have no confidence in the $5 bolts on the doors or the projected armoured doors (if and when they ever arrive) - what is the point of a bulletproof door if the terrorists don't have guns? - thinks I. They can kick them in just as easily. Even if the doors are made of Kevlar - the side frames are just alloy.

It may slow them - but not stop them. The stun guns - as demonstrated here - are a total waste of time. It needs a 9mm minimum or better a nice high mass, slow 44 stopper to do the job. Sorry folks but this whole topic is a PR blow job. If "they" are not prepared to do the whole job on the ground - then the last line of defence must be in the cockpit. And I can't defend my patch at all well with a ball point pen and a clipboard (which is all I am allowed right now).

The cockpit door is a high tech Thermopolie - it's narrow and I have a very good chance of stemming the tide. But I do need a weapon that works at close quarters and can be used from my seat. So don't come all this weak kneed, liberal, PC ballshiite. If you are kicking down my door - you are history. If it turns out you are (were) a grande-mal autistic with a direction problem - I will happily deal with that in a earthbound court at a later time. But I really would wait until I saw the colour of your eyes first - honest. And if you had the determination to break down the door - well - sorry.....

These must be the new rules. You breach the cockpit door - you get shot bad/dead - QED. I don't have a problem with that.

So I go to work every day in harms way to my mind. And I can tell you I don't like it very much. I am not too mobile strapped to my seat and I really wouldn't have much of a chance if a person of evil intent started banging down my door. It's a sorry world that comes to this - but until we solve the bigger problem - I want a gun. At least I can, hopefully, take a few (if not all) with me. And remember - if I go down - everyone does...

As an aside I have (in the past) carried a gun for 12 years - and I can tell you, from a personal viewpoint - that I would much rather not. They (guns) are a pain in the arse. They need cleaning and servicing and the security issues are a nightmare. But if I need to do this as part of my bigger task - I will do so. Not happily - but needs must - I will.

MG

Last edited by MasterGreen; 14th Sep 2002 at 03:47.