PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiger Moth joy flights - chocks for starting?
Old 23rd Mar 2011, 13:22
Ex FSO GRIFFO

Received 56 Likes on 24 Posts
In 'another life' when I was instructing in the WA wheatbelt, I had a Tiger available and did several endo's in it.

That particular machine was 'original', in that there were NO brakes at all.
However, a clever engineer had welded a 'T' piece of file to the bottom of the skid, and on the wheatbelt hard sandy surfaces, it was 'ideal' in that it did act a brake as soon as that skid was down - it 'dug in' a bit and slowed the aircraft nicely - automatically you might say.

When starting on the sandy surface, I did not always chock it as long as a 'trusted' person was holding the throttle closed, preferably, but sometimes when you are 'solo' that was not always 'practible'...
However, it hardly ever moved - the 'patented' skid mod. saw to that.

However, I did always 'swing' the prop from the rear - and still do - so that the switches and the throttle are within immediate reach if required.
And I hang on to the strut - now that I am older and not so 'athletic'.
Just to ensure that one does NOT lean forward on the downswing.....

Fast forward...the Tiger I fly today operates on the Bitumen, & HAS a NON locking brake and a tail wheel. Bugger!!

Therefore the Chocks are essential / mandatory / gotta have them!
It just rolls so easily on the bitumen, that, as soon as the chocks are pulled....well, you'd better be pointing in the right direction...as per ya pre-start check.

And with a passenger 'who does not know anything' in the front seat, this aircraft is always started by an 'endorsed' pilot, with the 'pilot flying' already in the rear seat.

For what its worth....

Have fun.

p.s. I've always found the C150 etc a difficult aircraft to swing, because the magneto impulse point is so low that you are literally bending down / over, and slightly out of balance in that swinging motion....ooops.
At least the Tiger is 'up there'.....and one's natural inclination is backwards.

p.p.s. Front seat control column REMOVED for joy flights - so no risk there.

Cheers

Last edited by Ex FSO GRIFFO; 23rd Mar 2011 at 13:37.