PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Financial assistance for AN staff.
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2002, 01:33
Al E. Vator

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes that's a fine idea Kaptin.

This is a great industry and we are all fortunate to be part of it. As with a precedent set some years earlier (I believe after the Pilot dispute and the collapses of Compass 1 and 11?) what could be invisaged would be something like this:

Senior Pilots and well-paid higher level management staff would contribute to a fund to assist in the support of their colleagues.
With help from the ACTU you may find that these contributions could end up being tax-deductible (tax-experts comments here please).

Those senior Captains who have found work elsewhere (such as those with SQ) contribute say 10% of their salaries to the fund to assist junior pilots unable to get back on their feet.

Many of these Captains have 20 or more years with AN and now is the time to look after the less fortunate. I reckon it's a crying shame the way the industry is panning out at present and I'm sure a formalised charitable assistance scheme will be met with great support from the senior pilots. Unlike a broader AN scheme, this would be a sceme organised purely by Senior AN pilots for junior AN pilots.

This topic is above the sniping found on other threads, so please no opportunistic posts:

Pole Vaulter how about yo start it off? I understand you were with AN for a long time. How about you kick off procedings with an effort to say establish the trust fund and contribute 10% of salary. We all spend time on PPRUNE which may be interesting but is all too frequently non-constructive.

Here is a chance for say Pole Vaulter to use time constructively and simultaneously assist those from the AN family who are far less fortunate. If it prevents one more post such as Go-Girls, then it will have been worth it.

I have been involved in a similar project and found it rewarding not only for the recipitients but also the organisers and the donors.

Good luck.