PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cumbria Helicopter crash discussion
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2011, 23:19
Tailboom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back To The Thread

Guys this thread is supposed to be about what might have happened in Marks accident, lets try and get back to it, I'm sorry now that I mentioned my night flight, but just to clarify a few details
  • I live in South Wales, we are surrounded by mountains over 2000ft, its always windy here, its not very often that the wind is under 15knts. I'm not suggesting that I know it all, but ive been flying in,around and over these mountains now for nearly 20 years, and I always expect the unexpected !!
  • I'm not being a smart ass but before I go anywhere I check the Notams + the weather especially the 214 spot winds which I find most accurate.
  • On the night in question I flew down from Huddersfield to Aberporth then back into South Wales the wind was forecast to be 20knts, unfortuanatly it increased in an isolated area to plus 40knts
  • As for the weather forecast once past Cardiff there are no other Airfields available for a forecast, Pembrey is automated, most of the others Swansea + Haverfordwest are closed by 5pm
  • In the night I like to always be at least 1000/1500ft above the highest object whether it be a City or Mountain, that normally means, that I'm at least 3000ft +, and fly Quadrangle Rules
As I stated earlier, normally I would have pressed on, and would have been quite pleased with myself when I got home, but on this occasion, I'd had enough and was very pleased with my decision to land, even rang my ex wife to pick me up !!!!!!

Now back to the thread, a pall of mine came up with an interseting comment this morning, he said that although the Gazelle is quick machine it seemed like a short distance from the take off point to end in such a high speed impact, he suggested that maybe the Helicopter took off down the Valley, didn't like what the weather was like and perhaps he was returning to his landing site.